Sunday Morning 9/4/11

Posted by Sherry

A PERSONAL PROFILE OF GOD

Nahum 1:7

CBC 9/4/11 SM

  • Some R confused about who God really is
    • dead or non existent
    • alive but unconcerned
    • distant Grandfatherly figure
    • 911 service center

NAHUM 1:7 “The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in Him.

  • Since God wants an intimate relationship with us we need to know some things about Him.
    • He has the advantage b/c He knows the very thoughts and intents of our heart
    • He knows our future
    • He knows both our beginning and end (physically)

LOOK AT GOD PERSONALLY

  • “the Lord is ESSENTIALLY good”
    • Ps 119:68 “Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes
    • “indispensable & crucial”
    • we need goodness from our creator to survive
      • distance of earth to sun
      • regulate cold & hot
      • supply of breathing air
      • supply of drinking water (from rock)
      • He has statutes (laws) that are indisputable
        • law of gravity
        • sowing & reaping
        • economics
        • relationship
      • He will teach us what we need to know
  • “the Lord is ETERNALLY good”
    • Ps 106:1 “Praise ye the Lord. O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: His mercy endureth for ever.”
    • don’t think you have used your limit of His grace...it’s limitless
    • you haven’t exhausted God’s patience
      • love
      • care
      • protection
    • when someone rejects God’s offer of limitless mercy and condemns themselves to a devil’s hell for eternity...they will remember that God is still good!
  • “the Lord is EXPRESSIVELY good”
    • Ps 107:8 “Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!”
    • Notice the “expressions” of God
      • God so “loved” the world that he gave...
      • cast your care upon Him for He careth for you
      • come unto me...& I will give you rest

LOOK AT GOD POWERFULLY “a stronghold in the day of trouble...”

Ps 62:11 “God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth uto God.”

  • He has power to DELIVER
    • Israel from Pharoah
    • Joseph out of the pit
    • Peter out of jail
    • Noah & family from the flood
    • Disciples from the storm
    • Sinner out of jaws of Hell
  • He has power to DESTROY
    • ask the disobedient that were swallowed by the earth
    • ask cities of Sodom & Gommorah
    • ask rich man in torment & hell
    • Matt 10:28 “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.”

LOOK AT GOD PERCEPTIVELY

“...He knoweth them that trust in Him.”

Ps 147:5 “Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.”

  • His knowledge is INDELIBLE
    • His words will stand forever
    • every thing man discovers God has already put it there to be discovered
    • we can never “surprise” God
    • we can never “let God down”, b/c we were never holding Him up
  • His knowledge is INTIMATE
    • Ps 139 1O LORD, you have searched me [thoroughly] and have known me.
    • 2You know my downsitting and my uprising; You understand my thought afar off.(A)
    • 3You sift and search out my path and my lying down, and You are acquainted with all my ways.
    • 4For there is not a word in my tongue [still unuttered], but, behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.(B)
    • 5You have beset me and shut me in--behind and before, and You have laid Your hand upon me.
    • 6Your [infinite] knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high above me, I cannot reach it.
    • 7Where could I go from Your Spirit? Or where could I flee from Your presence?
    • 8If I ascend up into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol (the place of the dead), behold, You are there.(C)
    • 9If I take the wings of the morning or dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
    • 10Even there shall Your hand lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me.
    • 11If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me and the night shall be [the only] light about me,
    • 12Even the darkness hides nothing from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You.

INVITATION:

* don’t pass up this invitation to be in the family of an “Awesome God”...

0 comments:

Post a Comment