Sunday morning 6/12/11

Posted by Sherry

DO YOU PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS?

NEHEMIAH 3:1-32

CBC 6/12/11 SM

Ever heard someone say, referring to another person, “doesn’t play well with others”?

HISTORICAL CONTEXT

  • 586 B.C. Nebuchadnezzar & Babylonian army captured Jews
    • Jerusalem destroyed
    • walls knocked down
    • temple burned
    • people deported & made slaves
    • King Cyrus let some Jews return
    • over 100 yrs some migrated home
    • Nehemiah learned of the city’s ruin
    • committed himself to rebuild
    • couldn’t do it alone

NEHEMIAH’S PLAN

  • 5 Tools In His Tool Box
    • waiting
    • trusting
    • praying
    • planning
    • testifying
  • 5 Different Tasks
    • replenished resources
    • assessed the need
    • recruited workers
    • inspired confidence
    • handled opposition
  • Nehemiah’s gifts:
    • administration
    • organization
    • (44 separate groups working on the wall)

TEXT: ILLUSTRATES HOW PEOPLE WORKING TOGETHER CAN ACCOMPLISH MORE THAN ONE PERSON WORKING ALONE

1 Then Eli-a-shib the high priest and the other priests started to rebuild at the Sheep Gate. They dedicated it and set up its doors, building the wall as far as the Tower of the Hundred, which they dedicated, and the Tower of Han-a-nel. 2 People from the town of Jericho worked next to them, and beyond them was Zac-cur son of Im-ri.

V4 “beside him were...”

v5 “next were...”

v7 “next to them were...”

v8 “next was...”

v9 “next to them on the wall...”

ETC. mentioned 28 times through v 32 (people working together)

DIFFERENT PEOPLE

  • Occupations
    • Priests
    • Goldsmiths
    • perfume manufacturer
    • leader of half the district of Jerusalem
    • leader of the other half the district
    • Levites

* Geographical locations

    • people from Jericho
    • from Tekoa
    • Mizpah district
    • district of Beth-zur

COMMUNITY PROJECT

  • It’s scriptural to make improvements in our community as a organized group of Believers
    • R.A.S.K.
    • read this book & see the testimony for God these people had with their neighbors
    • get busy on Wednesday night and help build CBC’s testimony for God in this community
    • working together we can impact people’s lives outside these church building walls
    • that’s what God’s Kingdom work is all about
    • sermons, lessons & devotional are instructional...
      • how old are you?
      • how many devotionals have U heard?
      • opportunity is at hand to work together and make a difference in this community
    • work is not as comfortable as a devotional
    • work is not as easy as listening to a devotional
    • work will cause you to sweat, get dirty, stink...
    • kinda like “TAKE UP UR CROSS & FOLLOW ME”

EVERYONE INVOLVED IN MINISTRY

  • Everyone has a job to do
    • sometimes hard to find our niche
    • tempted to want to go back to Egypt...
    • we’ve never done it like this before
    • I’ve never been asked to get off my padded pew and do something

ILL:

My first job was working in an orange juice factory, but I got canned b/c I couldn’t concentrate.

Then I worked in the woods as a lumberjack, but I just couldn’t hack it, so they gave me the axe.

After that I tried to be a tailor, but I just wasn’t suited for it. Mainly b/c it was a so-so job.

Next I tried working in a muffler factory but that was exhausting.

I wanted to be a barber, but I couldn’t cut it.

I attempted to be a deli worker, but any way I sliced it, I just couldn’t cut the mustard.

I studied a long time to become a doctor, but I didn’t have any patients.

I became a professional fisherman, but discovered that I couldn’t live on my net income.

I managed to get a good job working for a pool maintenance company, but the work was just too draining.

Next I found being an electrician interesting, but the work was shocking.

After many years of trying to find steady work I finally got a job as a historian until I realized there was no future in it.

Another guy said, “I like work - it fascinates me. I can sit and watch other’s do it for hours.”

  • When it comes to the Lord’s work
    • there’s no place for sitting on the couch and watching the Awards Ceremony like it’s the Olympics or something

THE PURPOSE OF THE WORK

  • team built around a central rallying point
    • Glory of God - purpose of our work
    • weren’t just working on walls
    • they were performing for God (WORSHIP)
    • they longed for their city to regain its splendor
    • WHAT ABOUT PRESCOTT REGAINING ITS SPLENDOR?
      • I’ve heard about the past
      • what R we going to do about the present & the future?
  • their work was “dedicated” to the LORD
    • each and every project
  • God’s not impressed with our labor, He wants our heart

THE PEOPLE IN THE WORK

  • Leaders must set the example (Priests mentioned 1st)
  • God uses all kinds of people
  • Some people WILL NOT WORK
    • shirked their responsibility
    • didn’t want to follow orders
    • didn’t want to get dirty
    • didn’t feel qualified
    • wanted to sit in the a/c & hear another devotional
    • missed out on the “blessing”
  • Some do more work than others
  • Some work with passion
  • Some work as families

IF GOD’S WORK IS GOING TO GET DONE...

  • we must cooperate with one another
    • not compare or criticize
  • keep the main thing the main thing
    • God’s glory is at stake
  • we can’t all give equally
    • but we can all make equal sacrifices

* nothing’s ever been done for God w/out hard work



0 comments:

Post a Comment