Sunday Morning 3/13/2011

Posted by Sherry

I’M LIVING & DYING W/ THE CHOICES I’VE MADE

DEUTERONOMY 30:19-20

CBC 3/13/11 SM

ILL: Country song titles...

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose

You can’t roller skate in a buffalo herd

Thank God and greyhound she’s gone

How can I miss you if you won’t go away

George Jones wrote & sung a song after being critically injured b/c he was drunk at the wheel

“I’m living & dying w/ the choices I’ve made”

NEWS FLASH: so am I, so are you!!

19 “Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live! 20 You can make this choice by loving the Lord your God, obeying him, and committing yourself firmly to him. This[a] is the key to your life. And if you love and obey the Lord, you will live long in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”

GOD GAVE US THE GIFT OF CHOICE

  • It’s a wonderful gift
    • given to Adam & Eve
    • separates us from rest of creation
    • used correctly it’s wonderful
    • used incorrectly...ask Adam & Eve...
  • LIfe is full of choices
    • hundreds everyday
      • paper or plastic?
      • continue life support, or not?
    • we choose...life, closeness, good, evil

SOME “BIG-TICKET” CHOICES OF LIFE

  • General Category
    • what kind of work will I do?
      • ur gifts & talents, passions, etc
    • what college or training program?
    • who will I marry?
      • picking a mate FOR LIFE!!!
      • who’s God’s choice 4 U?
      • what about children?
      • how will U lead ur family?
    • where will I live?
      • community life
      • schools
      • politics
      • church home

ILL: Remember Lot? thot the lush green plain was better than the barren desert...Sodom & Gomorrah...

  • Major Choices for Believers
    • Will I live a life of obedience or self-will?
      • ethical & honest
      • honor spouse & keep vows
      • do life God’s way or mine
      • follow fleshly nature or God?
    • Will I commit to spiritual growth or not
      • maturity doesn’t just happen
      • mature faith takes work & effort
      • spiritual discipline like any other
        • regular Bible study
        • regular prayer times
        • constant God conscious
        • opportunity watching
    • Will I live for me or others?
      • every day we decide that
      • default choice is “ME, ME, ME”

Mark 8:34 Then, calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me.

    • Will I live for the culture or for Christ?
      • human desire
      • or will of God?’
      • not necessarily nasty...
      • anything taking the focus off Christ
  • Are my associates lifting me up or pulling me down?

Proverbs 13:20 He who walks [as a companion] with wise men is wise, but he who associates with [self-confident] fools is [a fool himself and] shall suffer for it.

CONCL:

* Think twice about the incredible power of choice

  • treasure the gift from God that sets us apart from animals and robots
  • choose wisely - we are living & dying w/ choices we make
  • what is your choice for eternity??????

0 comments:

Post a Comment