Failure to "LAUNCH" sm 1/9/2011

Posted by Sherry

FAILURE TO “LAUNCH”

MATTHEW 25:31-40

CBC 1/9/11 SM

INTRO:

*Jesus always using object lessons...

sheep & goats mingled during day but were separated @ night (goats can’t tolerate cold & must be herded 2gether)

31 “But when the Son of Man[a] comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. 32 All the nations[b] will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[c] you were doing it to me!’

  • black & white object lesson (no gray area)
  • people in 1 of 2 categories
    • righteous
    • unrighteous
  • not difficult to tell difference between the 2

IDENTIFYING THE RIGHTEOUS

  • Provide others w/ simple acts of kindness
    • fed hungry
    • gave drink to thirsty
    • provided a place to stay for the nite
    • clothes for those without any
    • medicine for the sick
    • visited the prisoners
  • No pomp, plaque or prestige
    • self-sacrificing service that’s not noticeable
  • Used their resources to be a blessing
    • some use the excuse for not helping...”when did we see You in need, Lord?” v44
    • v45 when U refused to help the least of these my brothers & sisters U were refusing to help me
    • not so much the “WRONG-DOING”
    • it’s the “FAILURE TO DO GOOD”
      • failure to launch
      • sin of omission
      • ILL: Rich man w/ abundant harvest/build bigger barns instead of sharing w/ needy/God called him a “fool” & required his life that night
  • God blesses us so we can bless others
    • we all have something we can share
    • if we become “hoarders” we eventually lose it all

Henry Drummond, “You will find, as you look back on life, that the moments that stand out are the moments when you have done things for others.”

  • Spiritual vitality is gained by kindness to others
    • focus on our personal problems all the time drains our spiritual energy
    • James 2:20 “Faith without works is dead.”
    • vibrancy takes more than belief...it takes action
  • Righteous surprised by the significance of their actions
    • neither group are surprised by their placement by the King
    • they’re surprised by the reason the King uses for placement
    • v40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[c] you were doing it to me!’
  • TIME-OUT: Not saying works for salvation!
    • how they treated the “least of these” was not purpose of being accepted or rejected
    • sheep didn’t show love to gain heaven
    • A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP W/ THE SHEPHERD (JESUS) GAINS ONE ENTRY INTO HEAVEN
    • John 14: 6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.
    • True Disciple will love & serve the least brother w/ compassion:
      • not enabling & spoiling
      • give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish (cook, clean, child care...) feed them for life
  • We are the hands & feet of Jesus on this earth
    • ambassadors to others





0 comments:

Post a Comment