THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE

Posted by Perry

Session #4: The Greatest of These is Love
6:30pm Adult Bible Study 9/22/10
623 E. 3rd St. South, Prescott, AR

Ice Breaker:

Describe the most outrageously sappy romantic scene from any movie you can think of. What does this teach us about love? How real, true or honest is this scene?

Opener:

What is your favorite love song? Why?

Read:

1 Corinthians 13:1-13
1Co 13:1 What if I could speak all languages of humans and of angels? If I did not love others, I would be nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1Co 13:2 What if I could prophesy and understand all secrets and all knowledge? And what if I had faith that moved mountains? I would be nothing, unless I loved others.
1Co 13:3 What if I gave away all that I owned and let myself be burned alive? I would gain nothing, unless I loved others.
1Co 13:4 Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or
1Co 13:5 rude. Love isn't selfish or quick tempered. It doesn't keep a record of wrongs that others do.
1Co 13:6 Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil.
1Co 13:7 Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting.
1Co 13:8 Love never fails! Everyone who prophesies will stop, and unknown languages will no longer be spoken. All that we know will be forgotten.
1Co 13:9 We don't know everything, and our prophecies are not complete.
1Co 13:10 But what is perfect will someday appear, and what isn't perfect will then disappear.
1Co 13:11 When we were children, we thought and reasoned as children do. But when we grew up, we quit our childish ways.
1Co 13:12 Now all we can see of God is like a cloudy picture in a mirror. Later we will see him face to face. We don't know everything, but then we will, just as God completely understands us.
1Co 13:13 For now there are faith, hope, and love. But of these three, the greatest is love.

Explore:

1. When in your life have you felt most loved?
When someone gives up something in their life for me…(sacrifice)
a. when Linda left her Dad & Mom to live with me
b. when the church gives Me & Linda a salary increase during tough economic times
c. when someone invades my space, throws caution to the wind & gives me a hug
2. How did that love affect your life?
a. humbled me, then scared me because of the responsibility of taking care of her and knowing her parents were expecting me to do as good or better than they had done the last 18 years.
b. motivates me to work more 20 hour days b/c I’m not worth what the church is paying me
c. makes me stand a little taller b/c somebody actually shows some concern and cares about me

3. What does this passage say “love is”?
a. kind
b. patient
c. rejoices in the truth
d. supportive
e. loyal
f. hopeful
g. trusting

4. What does it say “love is not”?
a. jealous
b. boastful
c. proud
d. rude
e. selfish
f. quick tempered
g. keeps no record of wrong
h. doesn’t rejoice in evil

5. How does love as described in this chapter compare to love as experienced in our culture?
In our culture love is equated with:
a. lust
b. infatuation
c. romance
d. sex
Reflect:

1. Looking at the descriptions of perfect love in verses 4-7, in which one of these are you most weak? Which one is your strongest?
a. personal response
2. What will endure forever? Why?
a. Love…because “God is Love” 1 John 4:8
Live:

Which of these aspects of love could you express this week to someone to effectively show your love for them? [all of them, none is beyond our capability if we try]

0 comments:

Post a Comment