A GOOD REASON TO TRUST JESUS

Posted by Perry


PHILEMON 1:17-19
CBC 9/5/10 SM
Conflict happens…
Even between “believers”
Example for Reconciliation is given to us by Christ himself
(undeserved substitute)
Phm 1:17 If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself.
(unpayable debt)
Phm 1:18 If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account;
(unbelievable payment)
Phm 1:19 I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.
WE HAVE AN UNDESERVED SUBSTITUTE (V. 17)
• Partnership based on life in common with Jesus Christ
o Partner in Gospel Ministry
o Partner by prior life-long arrangement
• Benefits of “partnership”
o “accept him as you would me”
o Paul taking Onesimus’ place
 His substitute
o Forgive him as you would forgive me
o Hold no obligation against him as you would me
o Take him back the way you would accept me
• Paul gave Onesimus his “full plate” in exchange for his “empty” one
o Philemon was to receive Onesimus’ “full plate
• Jesus takes our place like Paul took Onesimus’ place
o “Father accept Perry as you would accept me”
o “Father I’m going to die in Perry’s place”
o “Father I’m taking Perry’s punishment for him”
2Co 5:21 Christ never sinned! But God treated him as a sinner, so that Christ could make us acceptable to God.
WE HAVE AN UNPAYABLE DEBT (VS 18)
• Onesimus had incurred an “unpayable” debt
o He owed Philemon a monetary debt
• Onesimus a runaway slave
o Cost $500 denarii
 500 days wages
 Cost to Philemon to replace Onesimus
• Onesimus had stolen from Philemon
o To fund his fugitive lifestyle
o Onesimus was out of money, helpless, bankrupt
• Onesimus was under the penalty of death
o He had abandoned his master who had purchased him
o That could not be paid back by monetary means
• That’s a picture of US!
o We have “abandoned” our master…God
 Disobeyed & sinned
 Ran away & hid
 We are bankrupt
 We can work for all eternity & never satisfy the requirement of the penalty…DEATH!
Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
WE HAVE AN UNBELIEVABLE PAYMENT (V. 18, 19)
• I’m writing w/ my own hand…”I Will Repay the Debt”
o Paul knew & understood the magnitude of Onesimus’ debt
o Paul’s desire that the “Broken Fellowship” would be restored
• Jesus didn’t send an angel to do His work, it was “By His Own Hands”
o He understood the magnitude of My debt & Yours
o Jesus’ desire that “Broken Fellowship” between us & God would be restored.
• He went to Calvary’s Cross
Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
o He was paying the debt for the consequences of OUR SIN
o He also went further & put “righteousness” into our account so we wouldn’t be “debt free & destitute”
CONCL:
A man was caught stealing milk from the store/arrested & taken before the judge/How do you plead? Guilty/He asked for leniency/had 2 small babies at home & had nothing to give them or money to buy milk with/instead of seeing them starve, he stole milk/ judge explained that since he pleaded guilty he had to be charged accordingly/judge assessed the fine $10 for the milk/man had no money to pay fine/judge got up, laid down his gavel, walked off the bench, walked to clerks desk, paid $10/man was set free/judge then gave man $100 to provide for future need (imputed to him righteousness…)
INVITATION
That’s a GOOD REASON TO TRUST JESUS!
Would you give him your heart & life today?

0 comments:

Post a Comment