THE FINER POINTS OF "WORSHIP"

Posted by Perry


ISAIAH 6:1-9
CBC 8/1/10 SN
Isa 6:1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and his train filled the temple.
Isa 6:2 Above him stood the seraphim: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
Isa 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is Jehovah of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
Isa 6:4 And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
Isa 6:5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, Jehovah of hosts.
Isa 6:6 Then flew one of the seraphim unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:
Isa 6:7 and he touched my mouth with it, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin forgiven.
Isa 6:8 And I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then I said, Here am I; send me.
Isa 6:9 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.
Does Worshipping God take a back seat to other “more important” activities in our life????
• What motivates us to worship over
o Trip to mall
o Recreation
o Spending time w/ family away from church service
• Habit?
• Struggling w/ life…God…etc?
• Here against your will?
• If you are a “spectator” instead of a “participant” it’s easy to miss…
TRUE WORSHIP IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM REALITY
• Worship happens in the course of life
In the year that king Uzziah died I saw the Lord
• In yr Japan bombed Pear …
• In yr Kennedy assassinated…
• In yr hurricane Katrina…
o In middle of life
o Good & bad I worshipped
• Worship in “Sanctuary”
o Must bring in w/ you all the baggage of what’s happening in the world
Psa 86:6 Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer; listen to my plea for grace.
Psa 86:7 In the day of my trouble I call upon you, for you answer me.
• Natural part of worship to bring your concerns with you
o Fears
o Worries
o Burdens
We have so many concerns we need an opportunity to bring them to God.
TRUE WORSHIP FOCUSES ON GOD
Many make a mistake at this point
• Assume worship focuses on us and our preferences
• Hear a lot about what “people” are not getting…
o Not getting fed
o Not being nurtured by worship
o Struggling with our worship
o Not getting anything out of worship service
• What About God?
o Is He getting anything out of it?
o Is He being blessed
o Is He enjoying our worship?
• Until God gets something out of our worship…WE NEVER WILL!
• We treat worship service as “entertainment”
o That’s why when something better comes along it’s easy to miss… we’re used to “changing channels”!
• It is the presence of God that fills true worship
I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and his train filled the temple.
TRUE WORSHIP ALWAYS BEGINS WITH AN AWARENESS OF GOD’S HOLINESS
There was a time when people were “aware” of the Holiness of God
• Stood for reading of Word like standing when American Flag comes by
• There was awe & wonder
• We’ve almost reformed God into our “little buddy”
o We can worship or postpone till it’s more convenient
• Our God is an “AWESOME” God
Isa 6:4 And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
Isa 6:5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, Jehovah of hosts.
• Moses was afraid before the burning bush
• Jacob afraid and filled with awe as he saw staircase to heaven
• God’s holiness demands our attention
TRUE WORSHIP HELPS US SELF-EVALUATE & SEEK GOD’S FORGIVENESS
• Cannot come into worship w/out being aware of God’s holiness
• Can’t be aware of God’s holiness w/out being aware of our sinfulness & shortcomings
• Confession results in forgiveness
TRUE WORSHIP WILL RESULT IN OUR LIVES BEING DIFFERENT
• We will want to “serve” more
Isa 6:8 And I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then I said, Here am I; send me.
God challenges us to do something
• Isaiah had to “speak a message” to the people
• What is God calling you & me to do “this week”?
• Look around, who’s not here
CONCL:
What do we do “after” we worship???
Isaiah said, “Here am I send me”

0 comments:

Post a Comment