THE "TRUST" FUND

Posted by Perry


MALACHI 3:7-11
CBC 7-11-10 SM
Mal 3:7 even though you have ignored and disobeyed my laws ever since the time of your ancestors. But if you return to me, I will return to you. And yet you ask, "How can we return?"
Mal 3:8 You people are robbing me, your God. And, here you are, asking, "How are we robbing you?" You are robbing me of the offerings and of the ten percent that belongs to me.
Mal 3:9 That's why your whole nation is under a curse.
Mal 3:10 I am the LORD All-Powerful, and I challenge you to put me to the test. Bring the entire ten percent into the storehouse, so there will be food in my house. Then I will open the windows of heaven and flood you with blessing after blessing.
Mal 3:11 I will also stop locusts from destroying your crops and keeping your vineyards from producing.

God is interested in our money because HE’S INTERESTED IN US & we need money to live!
• preacher, don’t talk about money, talk about something “spiritual”
o vs on faith – 500
o vs on prayer – 500
o vs on money – over 2000
o 1 out of 10 NT vs deal w/ money
o widow’s mite
o unjust steward
o rich young ruler…
• how we handle our money is supreme test of where our heart is
• Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Adrian Rogers: “a faith that hasn’t reached your wallet, probably hasn’t reached your heart
• Our survival is connected to “money”
o How can God care about us and not be concerned for our survival?
3 SCHOOLS OF THOUGH – MONEY
First – it’s all mine/I worked/earned it/deserve it/ can do what I want/ I can give or not give/ $1 or $20…
I AM THE OWNER & I SHARE WITH GOD WHEN I WANT TO!
Second – Tithe belongs to God, and the rest is mine (90%). In obedience I give Him (10%) and I’ll do what I want with the rest
I AM THE OWNER AND I SHARE WITH GOD BECAUSE I HAVE TO!
Third – It all belongs to God…the tithe/the rest of it too/I return to Him what He commanded/He entrusts me with the rest of His money/I ask for guidance on the 90% to be a good steward of His money/I will be judged some day for what I do with His money today.
IT’S ALL GOD’S AND HE SHARES WITH ME!
ILL: money is like “fly paper”/fly wants honey on paper/I got the honey/he tries to leave & fly paper says, “I’ve got the fly”/before you know it money can have us!
We don’t “GIVE” to God (v 7) we return to Him, He owns it all anyway.
A DEFINITE PROPORTION
• throughout history God’s people have practiced tithing 10% off the top
• it was put in people’s hearts BEFORE the “Law” was given Gen. 14:17-20
• Abraham commenced it Gen 28:22
• Moses came along w/ the Law, Later Lev. 27:30-32
• Malachi confirmed it (text)
• Jesus commanded it
Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
• WHO ARE WE TO CANCEL IT?
• “Living Water” flows free @ CBC
o these things cost money
 utilities
 literature
 maintenance
 salaries
 transportation
 missionary support…
• Tithing is to be a “delight” not a duty
2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
A DESIGNATED PLACE TO BRING IT
V10 Bring the entire ten percent into the storehouse, so there will be food in my house.
• local church where your membership is/or where you are “fed”
• offerings above the tithe can go to other ministries, but not the tithe
• ILL: try going to McD’s & eating & then tell them when it’s time to pay that you have a burden for Burger King, you’re going to send the money over there….??
V10 “I challenge you to put me to the test.”
• statement “I can’t afford to tithe”
o means you’re tithing “last” & it’s supposed to be “first” off the top
o God’s not interested in “left-overs”
o God wants to “stretch” our 90% further than we can
V11 I will also stop locusts from destroying your crops and keeping your vineyards from producing.
• God promises to “rebuke the devourer”
o Put Me first & I’ll rebuke these enemies of your finances
• 90% w/ almighty God’s blessings or 100% w/out God’s blessings…you choose
DIVINE PURPOSE
Ill: in Africa/monkey that’s delicacy to eat/build little box w/ small hole in one side/fill box w/ nuts & fruit/monkey slides hand in/grabs fruit/can’t get hand out of hole w/ fist clenched/won’t let go for anything/walk up to monkey & knock him in the head/
• would rather commit “monkeycide” than drop that food
• R U committing financial suicide?
o b/c you won’t let go of that tithe?
o Who’s in charge of your finances? You or God?
o IT’S A TRUST FUND!
o All God wants from You is You?
o Have you been saved? R U His child?
o He gave everything to you
o Will you give everything to Him?

0 comments:

Post a Comment