iWant God Close 2 Me

Posted by Perry



I don't know about you, but I want God close to me. I want to know that He is close by, that when I pray He hears and when I hurt He cares and when I am lonely He is there. I know all that up in my head, but I want to feel it. I want to know it.

Do you ever feel distant from God? Wish you were closer to Him? We go through times we know something is wrong, something is amiss, but we can't quite put our finger on it. I think more than we like to admit, we all go through seasons in our lives when we do feel that way. We all go through wilderness experiences in our lives, times when we feel deserted by God, when our prayers aren't being heard, let alone answered. We feel distant from God, cool in our devotion to Him, wondering if we will ever get that closeness back.

Matthew 1:23 is where Joseph was reminded of Isaiah's prophecy: "They shall call his name Emmanuel, which means, God with us."

The psalmist cried out on many occasions things that sound awfully familiar to me. "How much longer, LORD will you forget about me? Will it be forever? How long will you hide?" I don't know whether you feel that way or not. Perhaps you do, and you want God to be close to you.

Do you want to know the fullness of Christ? Do you want to be strengthened with His power, rooted and grounded in love? Able to apprehend the width and length and depth and height and to know the love of Christ? Do you want Him to be close to you?

Philippians 2:5-8 "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."

We might say that we want God close to us, but the fact is that He is close to us. He came to earth and lived with mankind. The person of the Holy Spirit lives with us and is at work all around us. He is an omnipresent God: not one that lives off in the distance.

When we say we want God close to us, what we're really saying is that we want the feeling that God is close to us. We want to feel His closeness. We want to know, to experience that He is near.

I know He hears my prayers, but I want to feel that He does. I know God is always with me, but I want to feel that He is beside me. Don't you? Here's good news. There's just a couple of things you need to do.

THINK ABOUT WHY YOU DON'T FEEL CLOSE TO GOD

1. Could it be that Satan, your accuser, is speaking lies to you?

2. Is it time for a good spiritual housecleaning? Do you have unconfessed sin in your life that is distancing you from God? God doesn't love you any less than He ever did, but it may be driving a wedge into your relationship.

3. Are you in a lukewarm phase in your life? Not that you don't love God, but you're just not facinated with Him. Confess your coolness...repent of it and ask God to restore the fellowship you miss.

4. Have you misunderstood who God is and what He does? Why do bad things happen to good people? They are intended to strengthen, test and grow them. Is that not what faith is really all about? It's easy to follow and love God when I feel His presence, but do I have faith to keep walking and following when I don't feel that presence? Suffering in silence and walking without feeling God is close will teach us...

a. to be more obedient

b. deeper insights into God's word

c. greater compassion and effective ministry

d. to wait patiently on God

e. that our joy must not depend on circumstances

f. to appreciate God all the more when He restores you

DO THE THINGS THAT BRING US CLOSER TO GOD

1. Stay in the Word

2. Spend time talking to God

3. Practice the other disciplines: fasting, meditation and scripture memorization

4. Be obedient to the things you know

As one of God's children, you are promised His presence. Rest in knowing God your Father has good reasons for bringing you into your trial. He is Emmanuel - God with us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment