Nothing New Under the Sun

Posted by Stephen

I sometimes think that the younger generation is full of new solutions and a few new problems. Computers, text messaging, and Facebook all add an interesting dimension to life in the twenty-first century. Our lives are more public with blogs and MySpace. Our minds are flooded with knowledge via the Internet and satellite TV. And we communicate with the world by YouTube and Google. Truly we are in very unique time of history.


Today, I was at a Community Coffee hosted by our local newspaper, The Nevada County Picayune. They were introducing two new staff members to the community by inviting the town to have coffee with them. As Chuck and I entered the building, we noticed that they had several books of old newspapers on viewing tables. Being a fan of history and newspapers, I quickly opened a book containing the Picayune issues from 1980. After looking for a few minutes, one of the staff members told me that the really old ones were in another room. Curiously, I went to the adjoining room to see.

Behold! Issues from 1969! Immediately I was met with car ads pricing cars at $1,995 and food cheaper than I ever imagined. A lot has changed in 40 years. The pictures were a dark black and white. The women wore huge glasses and there was a hospital in town!

Then I began looking deeper. Deeper than the fashion trends, deeper than the car prices, deeper even than the issues of the day; I began looking at the problems of the people of Prescott in 1969.

I read that the people were concerned with the rising cost of gasoline. They were concerned about how to save energy in their homes. They were concerned with the way that teenagers were relating to each other.

All of these I thought were somewhat unique to 2009.

Then God reminded me of Ecclesiastes 1:9-11, "there is nothing new under the sun."

Then I realized that everything we face has been faced by every generation that has gone before us. "Can anyone say about anything, 'Look, this is new'? It has already existed in the ages before us."

Every new problem is simply an old problem packaged in a new way. Even the picture displayed on this post is still something that goes on today. Young teenage girls mad at each other. Truly, "there is nothing new under the sun."

0 comments:

Post a Comment